When was the park created? In 1977.
How many sculptures are there? 116.
How many sculptors created them? 67 (during a period of 15 years).
Where was the park created? On the site of the old city cemetery, that functioned between 1820 and 1959.
Why should you visit the park? See the gallery of modern Lithuanian sculpture under the open sky. Go for a walk to seek traces of Klaipeda‘s history during the period of 19th and the beginning of 20th century (J. L. Wiener‘s grave, the memorial commemorating the joining of Klaipeda region to Lithuania in 1923, the memorable place to victims of the Second World War, the monument for lost at sea and others). Have a rest in the shadow of trees and art.
The Sculpture Park
The History of the Sculpture Park
The Sculpture Park was created in 1977, in the place of the Old Cemetery of the city. According the decision made by the Executive Committee of Klaipėda in 1975, the cemetery had to be eliminated and in its place to form the Sculpture Park. It was announced that everyone, who wants to, can rebury their relatives in the cemetery of Joniškė, which was opened in 1959. Tombs which remained, fences were dismantled, part of them are exhibited in the Blacksmith Museum.
“Right here, as nowhere else, reflects the vandalism act of the Soviet Union based on good intentions” – the historian Viktoras Vareikis wrote this about the establishment of the Sculpture Park.
Between years 1977–1991, in Smiltynė were organized symposiums of sculptors, during that time created works were built in the park. Right now in the 10 ha territory of the park, there are exhibited 116 sculptures in various themes, which were created by 61 sculptor during the first 13 symposiums.
The sculptures, which had been carved during the last years of the symposiums (1990–1991), can be seen on the quay of Danė (near Biržos bridge) and some are left in Smiltynė, the place of symposiums.
The work by S. Mišeikis – “The Bud of Light” (1979) was moved near school of M. Mažvydo in the Baltics avenue. “The Clock of Sun” by P. Mazūras decorates the yard of Clock Museum. The small sculpture “A Fish” (1982) by J. Virbauskas, was in the court of the former small pool, which was working during the soviet period, and was destroyed. “Two Bouquets” (1983) created by K. Jaroševaitė, was damaged after 1991, and right now it is protected in the archive of MLH museum.
Bronze parts of the sculpture “Mother” (1988) by V. Narutis, are also protected in the museum, but in the future the sculpture will come back to the park.