The gateway of port of Klaipėda consists of the southern and northern piers. The port structure protects the port from the waves, the ledge, and the weathering. Klaipeda‘s port has two parallel piers, the length of the southern pier is 1227 m, and the northern part is 1158 m. They are built on poles. The upper part is made from masonry. After prolonging the pier, the clay was reinforced with stones and large concrete blocks.
The northern pier has been under construction since 1834 until 1884, and southern - from 1847 until 1861. The function of these piers is to direct the flow of the Danes River mouth to the Baltic Sea, to protect the swimming pool (fairway) from contamination.
The northern pier is a favorite area of townspeople, a walk to the sea, watching sunset, arriving and departing ships.
Seamen and coast laborers were not inclined to passively pass on natural forces: on the land, they set up the towers leading to the entrance, cliffs, lighthouses were constructed on both sides of the riverbed.
In XVIII-XIX centuries, construction of the southern pier was carried out, but the essential port handling work began in 1834, leasing the Strait of the Klaipeda Merchants Union and the sea coast from Klaipeda to the Dutch hat, with the proviso that the coast will be strengthened and the clay settled, by the Prussian authorities.
In 1733, the northern end of the Curonian Spit, the first 130 m barrel (the pier) is erected. It was intended to defend the sea to defend the northern spit of sand. Soon the storm destroyed the “pier“.
In 1834, the merchant community began building a northern pier. The construction was held intermittently. The first stage ended in 1858. The northern pier is made up of two parts, the first consisting of a stone-reinforced 940-meter-long embankment, the second - 460 meters to the sea, 2.5 meters wide and 2 meters high (above the water) pier. When managing the pier, in 1884, the construction of the northern pier is finally completed, and it is extended again until its length reached 2150 meters. In 1884 December 16, at the bottom of the pier, the red light is lit in the White Lighthouse. At the end of the South pier, for some time, there was also a light signal. In 1927, in its place was built at 7.35 m. height lighthouse, i.e. 10 m from the sea level. It shone green light. To add, that narrow railway rails on both the northern and southern piers were used to serve lighthouses (carriage of coal) and repair, and maintenance works.
1847 - the beginning of the construction of the southern pier, in 1861 - the end. Later, in 1901-1902, the Southern Pier was lengthened by another 445 m, so that its end would end in approximately the same section, where the northern pier ended. In 1902, the length of the southern pier reached 945 meters. Along with the construction of the piers, the port fairway was deepened - 1859 up to 6 meters, later - 6.5-7.0 meters.
In 1930, Lithuanians made very detailed plans for the fishing port, the northern and southern piers (M 1: 300) with the certificates of work performed. The total length of the two plans (drawings) is even 6,95 meters.
In 1931 January 6, the Klaipėda‘s port authority reported that a nautophone was launched in the northern pier, 150 m south-east from its head, and the mist-emitting air issued warning signals to the boats: a long 3-second sound, followed by a 0.5 second silence, again a long 3-second sound followed by 22 seconds of silence (which means that every 30 seconds a long, short, and long-lasting sound was released).
The Second World War was ruthless to the Baltic lighthouses. In 1945, the Nazis, who retreated in January, blew up the Klaipėda‘s lighthouse. There is no White northern pier lighthouse.
The port of Klaipėda has two parallel piers, both over 1 km long. They are built on poles. The upper part is made from masonry. After prolonging the harbor, the clay was reinforced with stones and large concrete blocks. Otherwise, the fairway is called the gateway of Sea.
Translation by Gabrielė Šakinytė